The daily office grind. We’ve all been there and it’s the break times and lunch hours that can punctuate the hard working day with some respite. Unfortunately, there are many office kitchens and canteens that are just not up to scratch cleanliness wise. Industrial cleaning supplies shouldn’t just be the preserve of 5 star restaurants – everyone deserves to be able to prepare and eat food in a clean and hygienic environment – even in an office.
Follow the suggested routine tasks to help ensure your office kitchen area remains a clean and hygienic environment
As people bring in dirt from outside the building, the office areas and the bathrooms it is vitally important that worktop surfaces, tables, microwaves, toasters, kettles, and most of all the fridges, are kept as clean as possible. Without a clean environment your workers are at risk of bacteria that could cause such illnesses as gastroenteritis and the like.
Whether you and your colleagues clean the office kitchen yourself or you employ a cleaning company. We’ve put together a suggested guide on how you can keep different areas of your office kitchen clean on a regular basis.
|Suggested Cleaning Schedule: Office Kitchen & Vending Areas
||Suggested Kitchen Area Cleaning Supplies
|Daily cleaning tasks
- Empty waste bins and remove refuse to designated areas
- Brush/vacuum loose matting
- Vacuum used traffic areas
- Sweep/damp mop resilient floor surfaces
- Clean sinks, drainers etc
- Replenish paper hand towels or centrefeed rolls
- Damp wash and dry burnish table surfaces
- Check interiors of fridges and microwaves for spillages
Weekly cleaning tasks
- Dust all horizontal surfaces to hand height
- Spot clean doors and partitions including glazing
- Clean kitchen furniture
- Damp wipe/burnish laminate or other furniture
- Fully vacuum carpeted areas
- Damp wipe interior and exterior surfaces to microwaves and fridges
Monthly cleaning tasks
- Dust surfaces to medium height using 1m extended flick mop
- Damp wipe/polish finger plates, kick plates and door furniture
- Damp wipe radiators and pipework
- Burnish vinyl floor surfaces
- Clean interior of fridges
Quarterly cleaning tasks
- Damp wipe interior and exterior surface of waste bins
- Damp wipe marks from doors and partitions
- Defrost fridges
- Dust/damp wipe chairs
- Clean all windows – internal and external
Six Monthly cleaning tasks
- Scrub floor surfaces
- Apply seal to vinyl floor surfaces
||Kitchen Cleaning Chemicals:
- Jangro Kitchen Cleaner Sanitiser
An odourless, multi-purpose cleaner sanitiser and disinfectant spray that removes dirt and kills bacteria.
- How to use: On food contact surfaces wipe or spray the surface and rinse with clean water. On non-food contact areas simply wipe or spray surface then allow to air dry.
- Jangro Kitchen Degreaser Heavy Duty is a powerful multi-purpose kitchen cleaner and degreaser with bactericidal properties. Suitable for use on all hard surfaces, i.e. floors and tiles.
- How to use: For cleaning everyday dilute 20ml of detergent per 5 litres of hot water. Mop, wipe or spray the surface then rinse with clean water.
For heavily soiled areas and grease dilute 100ml of detergent per 5 litres of hot water. Mop, wipe or spray surface then rinse with clean water.
- Jangro Stainless Steel Cleaner for use on all types of stainless steel kitchen equipment. Removes light deposits of fat, grease and food
- How to use: Spray sparingly directly onto surface and wipe clean immediately with a clean, dry cloth.
- Jangro Concentrated Lemon Detergent is made from high quality ingredients which are effective and mild to the skin. Ideal for manual dishwashing and as a general hard surface cleaner.
- How to use: For washing up dilute 10ml per 5 litres of hot water. For floors, walls and tiles dilute 10ml per 5 litres of warm water.
Further suggested janitorial supplies
Don’t forget an another important element is the daily task of managing the kitchen office waste. It is suggested that general waste is black bagged. Waste bin liners should be replaced as required. Finally, for the recycling of paper, cans, cups etc. follow your company guidelines on recycling waste.
Some of the daily and weekly kitchen cleaning tasks include cleaning the sinks, topping-up the handtowels and wiping clean the surfaces
Look out for our previous cleaning guide articles: Washroom Cleaning Schedule and General Housekeeping Cleaning Schedule. Contact Wray Bros for further help and information on how to get the best from your janitorial supplies.